[sldev] Opinions regarding use of GTK glib on Windows/MacOS?

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Nov 29 20:32:45 PST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 13:09 +0900, alissa_sabre at yahoo.co.jp wrote:
> Cons against glib:
> - glib uses GTK specific typedefs for basic data types.  It makes the
>   source more complicated because SL viewer already has a set of its
>   own typedefs.

Bleh. Why does everyone feel the need to invent their own typedefs? Use
stdint.h for god's sake. What, MSVC doesn't have it? Use this one:

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~main/cs1300/include/stdint.h

> - glib dynamic library (DLL) is big, and we only need some small
>   portions of it.

If you call 610k big:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 seg seg 610K 2007-10-10 04:48 libglib-2.0-0.dll

http://micke.hallendal.net/blog/2005/10/06/gtk-natively-on-mac-os-x/
http://gimpfoo.de/2005/10/06/an-early-glance-at-gimp-on-os-x/

> Another thought is that my future projects include adaptation of pango
> in SL viewer for improved text layout, and pango requires glib.  Of
> course you are free to object against pango.

Actually I'm thinking of using Cairo. Which can wrap Pango but can also
use native Win32 fonts, and ATSUI on OSX.

After taking a look at the nightmare that is llwindowsdl.cpp, I for one
welcome our new GTK overlords. :)