[sldev] Havok4 Public Beta is here!

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 09:08:55 PDT 2007

On 01-Oct-2007, at 10:25, Andrew Meadows wrote:
> (1) The RCCS system is the main thing that caps the crippling lag
> in the Havok4 physics engine, so I won't be providing any LSL
> override flags for it in the short term.

How about a flag (scripted or not) that says "disable physics on this
object instead"? that way the machine will stop working but at least
it won't explode.

> (3) The prim limit for dynamic objects is 31, not 21.  The reason
> the limit was not changed in Havok4 is the border crossing problem,
> which is unrelated to the physics engine.

Border crossing in vehicles seems to be pretty much hosed in beta.
This applies to planes as well as ground vehicles.

> (5) Many enhancements to the physics engine will happen after
> Havok4 is done enough to deliver.  Some of the ones I already want
> to do have been discussed here, such as:
>   (a) simplified collision proxies for linked collections of
> primitives
>   (b) per-prim phantom settings
>   (c) smarter management of activation/deactivation of simulation
> islands
>      (waking up (or not waking up) collections of objects that
>      are all touching)

How about New Joints? If you could re-introduce joints some of the
complex machine issues would go away, since people have had to
replace jointed objects with machines (eg, Beatfox Xevious' windchimes).