[sldev] Packaging the viewer for Linux distributions

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Mon Oct 1 20:39:09 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 19:05 +0100, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Well if the viewer would just build out of the box that would be a great
> help the Main issues for me are:-
>
> http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-2488
>
> and
>
> http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-1853
>
> Its very close to just being able to do "scons DISTCC=no STANDALONE=yes
> BTARGET=client ELFIO=no MOZLIB=no ARCH=x86_64 BUILD=releasefordownload"
>
> I think that's the only two issues stopping that and one of them is
> AMD64 specific anyway, but still needs updating.

If you're talking about VWR-1853, you're mixing up two issues. There may
be install manifest problems on x86_64, but the inability to find system
fonts to use out of the box affects all architectures.

Note my RPM package just does a "release" build, with SConstruct patched
to build as a "releasefordownload", basically to bypass the tarball
building. It handles the install itself. So I'm not going to notice
manifest problems. :) The "make" and "make install" stages should
probably be separated, like every other build system on the planet does.
(And "install to an FHS compliant tree" and the current "build a binary
tarball" separated as well)

scons really is a glorified make, not a full blown build system like
autotools or cmake. ;P

> I am sure there are others but VWR-2488 " Standalone build is almost,
> but not quite there." might make a good umbrella for related issues as
> it seems bang on topic.

No, there's bigger issues than just building. :)