[sldev] OpenID & SSL certificates

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Tue Oct 2 01:13:42 PDT 2007

> I think this discussion is suffering from a serious lack of> clarification on exactly what case we are trying to fix. I'd love to> hear from Sabin what he thinks of the discussion, and what use cases he> is after.
I'm also getting confused by the subject line too ;-) for me OpenID offers the following potentials (I meant to send a similar e-mail to the list yesterday but forgot to cc the list!):

OpenID is *part* of the solution for allowing a single userid to be used for multiple services (both from LL and others) - if that was felt to be a desirable option. OpenID (and similar systems) are being used as the basis for brokered trust based identity verification systems which if adopted would provide a much more reliable mechanism for online verification than existing attempts whilst allowing the user fine grained control on what information is provided to which service. But OpenID per se does not attempt to address the various things being discussed such as viewer trust, anti-fraud etc.

Matthew