[sldev] Re: Goals for viewer authentication

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Tue Oct 2 15:28:34 PDT 2007

On 10/1/07 6:41 PM, Tateru Nino wrote:
> One of the things about the proposed viewer authentication that I'm hazy
> on is Linden Lab's actual _goals_ for the new system. Most of what I've
> seen is assumption of goals, or allusion to goals. It occured to be
> today, reading through the viewer critique that a lot of the goals seem
> to be the ones we _assume_ Linden Lab to have for the system.
>
> What, exactly is the bulleted list of goals that a change to the
> authentication system is to meet? I mean, we can criticize the system
> generally - but we can't necessarily propose one that is more acceptable
> to Linden Lab unless we're sure of their acceptance criteria, no?
> Otherwise we're talking in circles hoping to stumble on something that's
> acceptable by happy accident.

After talking to the team that's been working on this, I'm getting a
better understanding of what the goal is.  Unfortunately, there's only
so much we can talk about at this point, other than to say that it's
part of a necessary consolidation of entry points to the system.  The
main thing this accomplishes is the ability to leverage a number of well
understood web technologies for login support, as well as
well-understood back-end systems for managing it.

The critique has been helpful for me to understand the basic thrust of
the criticism here:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewer_Authentication_Critique

...and I think that will serve as good outline for a real-time
discussion when Zero is back in the office (timing TBD).  This is still
early in the conversation, so don't panic about us being slower than you
might like to discuss this.

One thing that will be useful in the interim is a short list of compiled
questions.  Put your nominations here:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Talk:Viewer_Authentication_FAQ

....and sign  (~~~~) the ones you agree are good ones to go into the FAQ
(and, for that matter, put "Bad Q" on the questions that you think is
rather silly to spend time on). We'll answer the most popular ones here:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewer_Authentication_FAQ

Rob