[sldev] Re: [PROTOCOL] Protocol Documentation

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 15:18:42 PDT 2007

On 03-Oct-2007, at 16:45, Lawson English wrote:
> I think its more a flamewar by the GPL people against the FreeBSD
> people BECAUSE the FreeBSD people want to do something against the
> spirit of the GPL.

Um, what are you talking about?

This was OpenBSD, not FreeBSD, and neither OpenBSD nor FreeBSD have
been using a license that is GPL-incompatible this century.

> I'm still not sure why the GPL itself would require "clean room"
> practices to copy *functionality*, even into a proprietary bit of
> code.

There have been specific cases where independently developed
components that implemented the same API as a GPLed program have been
hit with legal action by the FSF, on the grounds that by
interoperating with an API that was part of a GPLed program they were
derived works and are thus covered by the GPL... even if there was no
GPLed code in them. There was no "huge amount of cutting and pasting"
involved... according to the FSF simply using an API documented in a
GPLed source makes your code covered by the GPL.

There's nothing hypothetical about this. It's really happened. In one
they ended up creating a complete implementation of the libmp library
from scratch so that the API was no longer "a GPLed API" because
there was a non-GPLed implementation to work from.

After a few cases like this, is it any wonder that people want to
create a "clean room" environment around GPLed code?