[sldev] [META] GPL'd APIs (Re: Protocol Documentation)

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Oct 3 18:29:15 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-03 at 18:06 -0700, Dzonatas wrote:
> How the study of that content will be handled in court is one of those
> things you'll have to ask your lawyers advice. The mere act to document
> the API itself under GPL (or GFDL or Creative Comments
> Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5) and even copyright it still does not
> automatically blend (or patent) functionality and content from use of
> such API.

Not to mention, that the copyright owners, that is, Linden Lab would
actually have to press charges for you to actually get in legal trouble.
And given statements that the code shall serve as documentation, and
given what I understand to be explicit consent for libsecondlife to
re-implement the protocol, I think they'd have a hard time turning
around and arguing that re-implementing the protocol based on looking at
the source is acting against their wishes.

IANAL.