[sldev] Re: [PROTOCOL] Protocol Documentation

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Thu Oct 4 10:03:49 PDT 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> So if the code was released under one of these licenses it would not
> create a situation where someone using the code as documentation would
> automatically be at risk of being placed in a position where they had
> to defend their work. The original voice API license, Microsoft's
> license on some of their documentation, all have similar issues. That
> is, there are licenses that create a problem for open systems use, and
> ones that don't. The GPL happens to be one that does.
So if we boil down every license and stick arrows tips in the resulting
gunk, can we shoot lawyers with them?

I have yet to see an actual case where the GPL creates a problem for
open systems use. This is a Holy War, and I don't see the point of
continuing this discussion when it is largely due to opinions.

Plenty of code out there, plenty of licenses. Lots of lawyers. The only
people who make money off of license wars are lawyers.

--
Taran Rampersad
Presently in: Paramaribo, Suriname
cnd at knowprose.com

http://www.knowprose.com
http://www.your2ndplace.com

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/knowprose/

"Criticize by creating." — Michelangelo
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine." - Nikola Tesla