[sldev] CAPTCHA to validate land sales.

Matthew Dowd matthew.dowd at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Oct 4 13:02:38 PDT 2007

> The interface already has a "think about what you are doing screen"

Which doesn't work - because people don't read popup boxes. They are more likely to click OK - THEN go "whoops didn't mean to do that, how do I undo".

Basically, having the ability to undo something (at least for a short while) is a much more human friendly UI than any amount of "do you wish to do this" popups, which are just a bad (and lazy) UI design.

> The interface already has a "You must select to sell to anyone or a specific AV"

Which the new user, on an empty sim transfering ownership from a group to themselves, or selling to a person present on an empty sim, thinks (at least the first time) is an unnecessary set of extra steps safe to shortcut since the sim is "empty"

> The Land Search already has a throttle on the amount of data you can get in a period of time. (Do a land search and try rapidly changing pages back and forth)

Which affects humans far more than bots - a bot is only interested in the cheapest prices plots so doesn't need to step through more than the first few pages. After it has some choice spots it will tp and try to grab them, by which time it is safe to do another search - and in any case run enough simultaneous bots and you can get around this.

On the other hand, try searching for the cheapest peice of estate land not priced at L$1 (something a bot would never do) - the only way is to scroll through page after page of listings and the throttle makes it extremely difficult

> There is already a delay before the land set for sale is visible on the "For Sale" list  (I've helped people verify their land settings before and it took a couple minutes for the plot to show up to verify on the land sale screen)

On the other hand, I've had land sale appear almost instantly. If there is any delay, I suspect that it is only caused by the backend database running slowly rather than an intended delay. If there really is a delay could someone update (and indeed close) this jira entry - http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-376  ?

> Most everything you want is already there... people just do not use them.

 And shouldn't the fact that people don't use them indicate to you that perhaps there is something wrong with the implementation? There comes a point where you have to stop blaming the user and perhaps consider the UI is to blame!

Matthew