[sldev] [META][AWG]log chat of AWG meeting Friday, Oct 5, 2007

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sat Oct 6 15:30:20 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 16:25 -0500, Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> What about assets with editable properties, like clothing, gestures,
> notecards, and so on?

Copy on write. If you edit it, it is a new asset, and gets a new
identifier.

I've been musing on this. I think what we need to do is make a clear
definition between an asset, and an instance of an asset. An asset is
immutable. It never changes. Its identity *is* its content, summarized
by a content hash. (This greatly simplifies mirroring and caching.)
Linden Lab's proposed design doesn't even mention an "Asset Domain", but
that is where this stuff lives.

However, an instance of an asset can have additional dynamic state
attached. Its location in a sim, script state, etc. This stuff would
live in the Region and maybe Agent domains.

We have the case of objects being actively edited. "Editing" could mean
a script modifying the object. We should perhaps think of the Asset
Domain as long term storage. Objects being actively edited live in
mutable, ethereal anonymous state, that exists only in the Region
domain. To be accessible outside that region, it must be "baked" and
passed into the Asset domain.