[sldev] [META][AWG]log chat of AWG meeting Friday, Oct 5, 2007

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sat Oct 6 16:34:19 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 17:45 -0500, Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> > Copy on write. If you edit it, it is a new asset, and gets a new
> > identifier.
>
> That would cause some problems for SL: you don't change the UUID of a
> texture when you change the permissions or description. They'd have
> to be separate from the asset.

I thought we were agreeing that permissions are part of an asset
instance. :) Description is a bit less clear cut. An asset creator would
probably want to be able to set a name and a description that is part of
the asset, thus part of its identity. You would then be unable to edit
that description without ending up with a new asset.

You could have your own description, that lives as part of the asset
instance in your inventory, in the Agent domain, and is not part of the
global asset itself. We can't count on the creator to give things
sensible, unique names or useful descriptions...

> > However, an instance of an asset can have additional dynamic state
> > attached. Its location in a sim, script state, etc. This stuff would
> > live in the Region and maybe Agent domains.
>
> That should work as well as - and be a lot clearer than - my idea of
> making the texture a compound asset.

Well, we would have compound assets. An SL object would be a list of
prims, with references to textures, scripts and whatnot that are stored
as separate assets.

> > We have the case of objects being actively edited. "Editing" could
> > mean
> > a script modifying the object.
>
> I think LL are ahead of this one: scripts can't modify assets.

Well, I'm proposing humans shouldn't be able to either. Copy on
write. :)

> > We should perhaps think of the Asset
> > Domain as long term storage. Objects being actively edited live in
> > mutable, ethereal anonymous state, that exists only in the Region
> > domain. To be accessible outside that region, it must be "baked" and
> > passed into the Asset domain.
>
> I think the "instance" needs to be a long term object, as well. If
> you edit a texture in your inventory, change its properties, its
> identifier shouldn't change.

Which properties? Either you're creating a new global asset, or you're
editing instance properties. You'll have to be more specific.