[sldev] Various questions on the viewer.

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sat Oct 6 21:58:18 PDT 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> On 06-Oct-2007, at 22:47, Lawson English wrote:
>> In the long run (probably doesn't apply to the cleanup project), it
>> would be good for everyone to keep in mind the consensus of the open
>> source community appears to be that the GUI should be at least as
>> scriptable as WOW.
>
> It might be worthwhile making the "new" GUI implement the Tk API (or
> even be a GL-aware version of Tk), because there's bindings for the Tk
> API for pretty much every major scripting language out there, and at
> the same time Tk is a relatively small and simple API.

I'm all in favor of KISS. However, for the very long-run, I'd like to
keep dynamic skinning options open that are OGL dependent. Any GUI that
can be modified to handle Windlight-type settings would do for the
extended viewer case. Which, if any,  is "best " for that is open to
much debate.

A LUA-scripted client (or Python or Perl or Ruby or whatever) could make
use of whatever GUI is best suited for that client's needs.