[sldev] [META][AWG]log chat of AWG meeting Friday, Oct 5, 2007

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sun Oct 7 12:45:18 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 15:52 -0700, Lawson English wrote:
> Again, where does the unpublished asset live? Is it simply not-an-asset?
> This issue needs to be addressed because you can't reasonably do a
> regexp search of  all notecards in your inventory, letalone all notes
> taken of all people you have ever met anywhere in the metaverse friend
> or not, unless some private version of these exist client-side in a
> format that is flagged as "searchable content". Why go creating
> special-case flags when you can simply have a generic class of object
> that doesn't require validation from some asset server before you can
> gain access? Private content is never "stale" or invalid, since the
> client itself has the only copy and no external asset server can even
> know it exists until it is published (either as a copy of the original
> or transformed into an external asset with no private copy leftover).
>
> My keyword floater can't use the LLInventory* classes to display
> folder-style hierarchies because keywords aren't an asset, for a more
> trivial example.
>
> For a more complex example, how does one deal with locally built assets,
> such as avatars, prims, etc., that have never been published, even to a
> private sim?
>
> An example of this would be prims (or avatar appearances) created/edited
> via plug-ins with more complex interfaces than the rudimentary in-world
> tools provide. Do we just say "let the plug-in writers worry about this"
> or do we address the issue from the start and provide a generic
> mechanism to allow manipulation of non-published stuff using the same
> GUI as currently only handles published stuff?

I'm really not understanding what you're saying here. You seem to be
seeing grave complexity where there is none. Standard file formats are a
given. The asset's local identity is a local implementation detail. It
can be stored in a local file named "penisbike.slobj" or managed by a
local asset manager in the same manner as other global assets. Or both.

Remember, we're heading for a future where nontechnical users aren't
going to know or care where their data actually is. All they know is
they log in to Gmail and their email is there. They log in to Second
Life and their inventory is there. (Or not there, as the case may be.)

Local storage becomes nothing more than cache, and possibly a backup
mirror. And unused disk space is wasted disk space...