[sldev] [META][AWG]log chat of AWG meeting Friday, Oct 5, 2007

John Hurliman jhurliman at wsu.edu
Sun Oct 7 18:14:29 PDT 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:

> On 06-Oct-2007, at 15:42, Callum Lerwick wrote:
>> "Almost all programming can be viewed as an exercise in caching"
>
> Yah. Caching was the thing that immediately sprang to mind as a
> problem with using a URL and making requests in real time. Resources
> need to live "close" to where they're used. Assets are going to get
> copied around. Assets referred to from in-world objects need to still
> work even if the asset server from Joe's Bar and Grid is offline, so
> they need to be cached.
>
>> For this to happen, we need a way to unambiguously
>> identify an asset, completely independent of its location. A content
>> hash is probably the best way to do this. Duplicate copies of an asset
>> become obvious to identify, and likewise maliciously modified or
>> corrupted copies of the asset can be identified and culled.
>
> What about assets with editable properties, like clothing, gestures,
> notecards, and so on?

I don't know if this has already been answered in the thread, but
currently there is no such thing as an asset with editable properties.
If you change a word in a notecard and save it, you are uploading a new
asset to the grid. If you change the sleeve length of your shirt and
save it, you are uploading a new wearable asset (and new temporary bakes
for your final outfit).

John Hurliman