[sldev] [META][AWG]log chat of AWG meeting Friday, Oct 5, 2007

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sun Oct 7 22:43:40 PDT 2007

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 16:44 -0700, Lawson English wrote:
>
>> I believe  there can and likely SHOULD BE plenty of data  associated
>> with the client that doesn't live in an external asset server. If "not
>> an asset" is defined as being "'unpublished' to the external world,"
>> where "external" includes 1-person sims, then plenty of data that the
>> client might display will never be an asset or even a "proto-asset."
>>

> You're really overthinking this. If I used the word "file" instead of
> asset would that make things any clearer? ;P
>
> Everything is a file, and every file is an asset. There are no
> "proto-assets". No "non-assets". Its all assets.
>
> And I'm getting sleepy and possibly incoherent. :)

Zha and I went around with this issue. I'm on the fence as far as
terminology, but I DO agree with her that there is a dichotomy between
stuff that lives on the server side and stuff that lives only on the
client side (without any server knowing about it).

Call it published vs unpublished assets, or assets vs non-assets, but
there is an important architectural distinction, from the perspective of
the client-server communication level, which is her concern in the AWG.

I'll let her clarify her position beyond that.