[sldev] Various questions on the viewer.

Richard Nelson richard at lindenlab.com
Mon Oct 8 10:28:42 PDT 2007

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 11:35:39 -0700, Jason Giglio <gigstaggart at gmail.com>
wrote:

> The camera behaves in unexpected ways when it's in FOV zoom on small
> prims mainly.  I'll have to play with it some.

Please do.  Any feedback would be appreciated.  There are other approaches
we could take, such as bringing in the far clip plane dynamically or
living with the reduced z buffer precision of a very close near plane, but
each has their drawbacks.  Keep in mind that when zooming in on an object,
the object itself is not always the user's point of interest (which
admittedly is a problem with the FOV zoom approach).

For those unfamiliar with the mathematics of z buffering, wikipedia has a
decent summary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-buffering

> OK, so if we are adding new UI, we should avoid text elements that
> aren't really text elements, and use XUI strings instead, if
> appropriate?  Should we clean these up if we are touching a file that
> has them anyway?

Yes, please stick to XUI strings for new UI.  Don't worry about cleaning
up existing files, since I plan to remove them in our cleanup pass anyway.

Richard