[sldev] CAPTCHA to validate land sales.

Taran Rampersad cnd at knowprose.com
Mon Oct 8 18:29:01 PDT 2007

It seems to me that few people here have sold much land within Second
Life. Because of that, the defense of landbots is purely academic and as
such is poor.

Certainly, landbots are here to stay. But when you actually lose money
because of some land sale glitch - these have been known to happen - or
typos - more frequent - or user error... these armchair discussions seem
less than enlightened.

In the State of Florida, 5 people have to die at an intersection before
they put up traffic lights. The point here is that whether or not you
know the 5 people, at least there is someone keeping track and not
saying 'jeepers, they sure are good for the economy', and 'all those
mistakes must be human error'.

The problem is hardly academic, and is quite easily solved should
someone get off their butts and fix it. It isn't a perfect solution, we
know, but a 5 minute hold on showing lots in a search query sure sounds
reasonable.

But, as we all know, people who use landbots to eek out those
mistakes/glitches.... they use that money to buy t-shirts, houses and
other stuff in Second Life, right? Right... you have GOT to hand me some
of what you're smoking....