[sldev] [META][AWG]log chat of AWG meeting Friday, Oct 5, 2007

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Mon Oct 8 20:30:02 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 11:17 +0200, dirk husemann wrote:
> which supports the change-an-asset-and-it-turns-into-a-new-asset faction
> --- which, i think, makes things much easier and reduces overhead and load.

That's the idea. :)

> suggestion: asset: once created in-world is fixed. change permission,
> change description, change texture -> new asset. asset includes all
> properties. that way it can be cached without having to verify with the
> "originating" domain whether the creator has changed her mind...

No. Look at files on your disk. Metadata such as filename, its
permissions, creation dates etc, are not part of the file itself.
Changing the filename or its permissions does not change the file
contents. What I've been calling an Asset is analogous to the contents
of a file. How about if we call it a "static asset data"? This is the
part that gets mirrored far and wide. An instance of an asset would
contain a reference to the static asset data and is where editable
descriptions and permissions live. This part would live in agent
inventories.

Note that it is and should be possible to put metadata in with the
static asset data, using any number of methods. How to handle creation
and modification dates is something to think about. Is there any way to
prove someone created a file at a certain time, without involving a
trusted third party? I don't think there is...