[sldev] WTF happened to my texture?

Harold Brown labrat.hb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 11:36:34 PDT 2007

You misunderstood what I was saying.

Using 1 prim per character any decent display will exceed the link limits by
a large margin.

An 80x25 display (DOS screen anyone) is 2000 characters that's 2000 prims or
roughly 8 individual linksets.
Using a 5-face prim will reduce that down to 400 prims, still 2 individual
linksets.
Using the 5-face prim with the 2-char XyText font will bring that down to
200 prims.  A much more manageable size.

And then how are you going to control the texture offset in each prim?  A
script in each prim?  Master / Slave scripts in the root prim?  It's still
not going to change and display text in microseconds... you're talking
something that will take 1-3 seconds to change and fully render.