[sldev] [META][AWG]log chat of AWG meeting Friday, Oct 5, 2007

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 07:23:55 PDT 2007

On 11-Oct-2007, at 04:27, Lawson English wrote:
> Currently, the asset server learns about just about anything you've
> done to the asset in your inventory. I believe that includes
> renaming it.

Does it actually create a new asset when you copy a texture?

I thought they didn't create a new asset until you modified the
actual data, and for assets like textures that never happened.

I'm pretty sure that creating a new copy of an asset doesn't create a
new asset, otherwise they wouldn't be so big on the whole "scripts
can't create assets so they can't edit notecards" things... because
then a script would beat up on the asset server every time it rezzed
something in world.

When you have multiple domains you want to be able to defer hitting
the asset server even more than you do now.

Which is the whole point to this separation of data and properties
that I'm talking about.

Oh, and Dirk, when you go from region A to region B your T-shirt
won't vanish, because your T-shirt is part of your baked texture, and
that will just be uploaded to the new region from the client. In
fact, since baking textures is between the client and the asset
server, I'm not sure that it would need to involve the region at all.