[sldev] [META][AWG]log chat of AWG meeting Friday, Oct 5, 2007

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 08:21:28 PDT 2007

On 11-Oct-2007, at 09:49, Andre Roche wrote:
> On 10/11/07, Argent Stonecutter <secret.argent at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure that creating a new copy of an asset doesn't create a
>> new asset, otherwise they wouldn't be so big on the whole "scripts
>> can't create assets so they can't edit notecards" things... because
>> then a script would beat up on the asset server every time it rezzed
>> something in world.

> Actually, rezzing prim objects in world does give each new object a
> new Asset ID.

I thought the UUID for prim objects in world was generated by the
region, and the "asset server" for prims was the region.

> Guns DO beat up on the asset server.

Even if I'm wrong, that shouldn't be necessary. In any case, my
mental model here that I'm working with is the model of an efficient
architecture... perhaps we could design one that doesn't require the
asset server to know about all this scurf, whether a particular
instance of the WWVW (world wide virtual world) takes advantage of
the optimizations possible or not.

It should be possible to change the name of an object in your
inventory without bothering the asset server. It should be possible
to do that while that particular asset server is down, and have it
resynced when it comes back up again, and use a cached copy of the
asset data that's already been transferred with the asset server's
approval if there happens to be one in the domain you're in.
Remember, with multiple domains and asset servers it's going

> Baked textures should inherit the permissions of the assets it was
> baked from.

Except the baked texture belongs to the client. The client isn't
trusted. The client currently caches baked textures and I'm pretty
sure it doesn't keep track of permissions on them.

> Honestly, I think region to region asset management is as simple as
> identity management.

What I'm describing isn't complex, and it's going to happen anyway in
a bunch of different variations with different and inconsistent rules
once people realize that it sucks to have stuff vanish or go "unknown
texture" when some host for Joe's Grid And Bait Shop goes down. It's
simpler to get it right now rather than just letting it evolve.