Artwork (Re: [sldev] Packaging the viewer for Linux distributions)

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Oct 11 19:32:10 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 13:32 -0700, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> The problem is that the artwork releases are an automated process which
> is made much faster for us by the fact that we're blindly publishing.

Shouldn't be that hard to automate. Just check against the previous
release in that series, if there's no difference don't publish a new
one. The thing is, if LL doesn't do this, downstream maintainers will
end up having to do it anyway.

> That said, I'm pretty eager to see the viewer make it into Linux
> distros, so if this is truly on the top of the list for things Linden
> Lab should do, then well, maybe we should figure something out.

A lot of other things seem to be getting mixed up in this thread. Just
to be clear, all *I* want/need, is if for example client version
1.18.3.99 was released tomorrow, and its artwork blob hasn't changed
since 1.18.3.5, then a new artwork archive should NOT be released,
rather the one from 1.18.3.5 should be linked to.

As far as Fedora packaging goes, we greatly prefer to operate with
officially released tarballs from upstream. Putting stuff in SVN,
releasing binary diffs or using rsync, does not help downstream
maintenance any.