[sldev] [META][AWG]log chat of AWG meeting Friday, Oct 5, 2007

Andre Roche roamingryozu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 09:37:14 PDT 2007

On 10/12/07, dirk husemann <hud at zurich.ibm.com> wrote:
> Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> > On 11-Oct-2007, at 00:19, dirk husemann wrote:
> >
> [...]
> >> if i change a property of an asset in
> >> my inventory that should go back directly to the asset server of that
> >> object.
> >
> > Even ignoring an asset that exists in multiple inventories, you can
> > have an asset twice in your inventory with different permissions. You
> > can't copy assets every time you make a copy in your inventory or even
> > every time you give someone a copy, there's no point, you only need to
> > copy the properties and leave a reference to the original. The copy in
> > your inventory doesn't even need to exist on any asset server until it
> > gets rezzed into a region domain. Then it shows up as a reference on
> > that domain's asset server pointing to the data on the original
> > server. You're wearing that copy, it's in your inventory, but it's a
> > reference to the original until you create a new asset.
> see, i'm assuming that assets don't exist in inventories, but rather
> that an inventory has a reference to an asset "living" in an
> inventory/asset server somewhere. that asset server can be one of my own
> choosing. whether i can store objects that i acquire in a particular
> asset server depends on how trusted that asset server is. not my
> (architectural) concern here. i could even have different
> inventory/asset servers.

Which, actually is what I personally would like to see.  I could host
my own asset server on my home computer, for use by my own region that
I log in to with my own user authorization.  Basically, my own single
region completely separate grid.  I build something there, take it
into my identity's inventory.  I then log into the main Second Life
grid, and link my inventory from my home grid to my Second Life
identity.  Now when I open my inventory, I see "Assets.SecondLife.com"
and "Assets.OmniCorps.net" listed.

> if i change a property of an asset, that should go back to my
> inventory/asset server --- i don't want to be tied to a particular PC or
> mobile phone or toaster storing my inventory, that should be in the
> network; in the morning my toaster might be my secondlife client, an
> hour later i'm accessing the grid from my business laptop, and so on.

Unless, of course, I WANT my toaster to serve my assets.
Unfortunately, I've yet to get anything besides "Burnt Toast" from it.

> if we assume an asset to consist of meta data ("properties") and a
> reference to the data (current asset UUID, if i understand things
> correctly), then giving a copy to someone should make a new copy: the
> meta data part changes, the reference to the asset server might remain
> the same --- the other avatar might want to take that copy into its own
> asset server, though. if i rezz something that should create a new copy
> as well to decouple it from the inventory object --- otherwise we end up
> with an unmanageable tangled web of references with the region domains
> having to constantly check whether the representation of an asset has
> changed.

That would be my biggest fear.  A totally tangled web of references
that make about as much sense as spaghetti.