[sldev] [META][AWG]log chat of AWG meeting Friday, Oct 5, 2007

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sun Oct 14 11:32:54 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 09:46 +0200, dirk husemann wrote:

Huzzah, someone else seems to be agreeing with my view. :)

> why not keep it simple:
>       * assets consist of meta data (properties) and asset data [i
>         think we agree on that one]

Meta data = "Asset instance", Asset data = "Static asset data"

We need to be clear on which we're talking about.

>       * assets belong to an avatar

Asset instances belong to avatars. Static asset data is a blob of bits
with no intrinsic location or ownership.

>       * assets are stored in asset servers

Static asset data is stored in asset servers. Asset instances are stored
in the "Agent domain".

>       * copying an asset creates a copy of the meta data/properties
>         but retains a reference to the asset data

Copying an asset instance [...]

>       * assets can be copied to another asset server in which case the
>         asset data is copied as well and a new UUID created for it

See, here's where things get confused. Static asset data can be copied
and cached freely as needed. As its "UUID" is a content hash, a copy can
NOT have a different UUID.

Copying an asset instance, yes. But asset instances aren't handled by
"asset servers", but by "agent servers".

>       * inventories contain references to assets in asset servers

Inventories are a collection of asset instances, stored in an agent's
agent server. An asset instance is metadata and a reference to static
asset data stored in asset servers.

>       * changing meta data/properties of assets in inventory goes back
>         to the asset server that hosts that asset

Editable properties are part of the asset instance. So changes go to
your agent's _agent server_ not an asset server.

>       * rezz'ing an asset causes a copy of the asset to be created;
>         the region domain can decide to use the reference to the asset
>         data or it can decide to do an asset server copy

Rezzing copies an asset instance from the agent domain to the region
domain. An asset instance is defined to be a reference to static asset
data. If the region server needs the static asset data for something,
such as collisions and physics on prims, it can retrieve it. But that's
a region implementation detail.

Note that I really want SL to move to more of a "There" like inventory
system. Which means there needs to be a way for Agent servers to keep
track of where your inventory is rezzed. We also need inventory
thumbnails of some sort. :)

>       * rezz'ing/copying/asset server copying are subject to the
>         "usual" trust restrictions
>       * modifying an asset has no effect on assets that have been
>         rezz'ed previously
>       * tracking changes to a "master asset" should be done via
>         scripting
> that way, rezz'ed objects are stable, the region domain doesn't have
> to constantly check/track objects.

Yes. But I think we do want a way for the Agent domain to keep track of
all objects an agent has rezzed.