[sldev] Camera/Picking Patch

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 21:27:31 PDT 2007

Here's the patch!

This patch fixes VWR-1286, and VWR-98.

This patch redoes the minimum camera constraints to allow zooming on
hollow/cut/twisted up prims correctly, and improve zooming on
trees/grass/other weird stuff.

As part of this, it was necessary to overhaul and simply the picking
code.  This patch is a significant improvement in the picking code.
There's a lot left to be done in terms of cleaning that up so that it
can be used for other neat things (like the LSL UV touch), but this
patch brings that closer.  I'd like to wait for this patch to get in
before I do any more work cleaning up the picking code.

Notes:

1. Alt-zooming on nametags is still weird. It was already weird before,
so it's just a different kind of weird now. If anything, it's a little
more tolerable.

2. The camera is no longer constrained to the bounding box of the focus
prim or avatar.  This is intentional. The only way you can see this is
if you zoom all the way in, and then pan up or down, left or right, to
force your camera to intersect with the prim or av.

This is a desirable behavior in a lot of cases, as it is near impossible
to get lost attachments out of your body with the current constraints.

When doing a straight alt-zoom, the behavior is similar to before, the
camera will not penetrate the focus surface.

Note that it was always possible to pan other prims (even in the same
linkset) through your camera in this manner.

3. I have written a test script for this patch and for camera
constraints/picking in general:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Camera_and_Picking_Test

It is not complete, as it is focused on this patch and the issue it
touches mainly. It should be expanded to cover all the functional specs
of the alt-zoom feature and the camera control feature.