[sldev] Optimus Prim vs. Megatrim: "The Big Prim Problem"

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 10:18:57 PDT 2007

On 17-Oct-2007, at 11:31, Dzonatas wrote:
> Argent Stonecutter wrote:
>> On 17-Oct-2007, at 09:15, Dzonatas wrote:
>>> What to do with the megaprims?

>> Keep them, let people create and rez new megaprims up to 256
>> meters, don't make it a complex operation to do so, don't
>> magically convert prims into linksets, just ignore them in the
>> physics engine.

> My post was not about to create linksets, but that would be a
> similar idea if the basic prims did not *transform* or *optimize*
> as suggested in my post. Linksets, therefore, would be a different
> topic.

Whatever you call them, the magical optimization step is a lot of
added complexity. I honestly don't see what it buys you.

>> When you rez a prim larger than 10 meters, it gets ignored by the
>> physics engine.

> That would break content.

Only if it was applied to existing megaprims. They obviously should
be grandfathered in for some period.

> On the rez event, instead, is where parts of the system can use the
> original untranformed/unoptimized version (hence "protoform") and
> decide if it can work well with the physics at that point or if it
> has to force phantom.

So you'd have the same prim sometimes being treated as multiple prims
and sometimes not? Sometimes phantom or sometimes not?

The thing is, as far as the physics engine is concerned, a linkset
40m across is just as hard to deal with as a single prim 40m across.
A linkset with a hollow is just as bad as a hollow prim. If the prims
are unlinked and magic, what happens if some of them are deleted? It
seems a lot of complexity that will violate the principle of least
astonishment.

> Given both versions of transformed and protoforms, each process
> (client or server) can decide what is the best version to use. All
> the calculations to render either version can be done ahead of time
> instead of on each event.

I don't see how exposing the complexity to the end user provides any
benefit. As something that the server could to to simplify the
calculations for concave objects under the hood, sure... but the
client doesn't care, it only wants the graphically simplest form.

>> For structural pieces? Just embed transparent non-phantom prims
>> inside the megaprim.

> You asked "where are the savings?" Here is one answer. That
> embedded suggestion is very similar to have the protoform and the
> optimized/transformed version stored as one object.

Except there's a benefit for the user seeing it - the user gets to
control what the physics engine has to deal with.