[sldev] [ARCH] idea - group voice

inhahe inhahe at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 13:06:04 PDT 2007

I have an idea.  I don't know if it's an original idea..

I think it would be neat if SecondLife had voice.  And not just between two
people.  You should be able to hear what everyone is saying around you at
once, but each voice should have a volume that's attenuated according to a
function of distance, whatever that function in real life is.  And you
should be able to speak and hear at the same time.  It would be like being
in a mall or something, so the noise around you wouldn't prevent you from
having a conversation with someone right next to you.

The only drawback, I guess, is that it might make it a little hard for
people who can't or won't use sound and/or a mic to to participate.
Although text would still be functional, of course.

The server should combine the voices for each client and send a single audio
stream, rather than sending each individual voice the client hears
separately.

A low-khz stream with voice compression could be used for a client's
upstream, and perhaps for the downstream too.  I say "perhaps" because
low-khz or voice compression might make the sum of peripheral voices sound
bad.