[sldev] [VWR] Switch to cmake?

SL - Farallon Greyskin sl at phoca.com
Thu Oct 18 21:30:55 PDT 2007

I wasn't going to really get into this too much. I don;t know the
intricacies of SLs current build system nor do I really want to :) But I
guess I'll just say my piece and let it go at that.

I worked on cross platform projects for 6 years up till a couple years ago
and in almost every case it became evident that the BEST way to do cross
platform building was to have a responsible party for the make files for
every platform and then use scripts to automate the builds from a central
location using build servers for each platform. Since the make files and
required library includes, build procedures, dependencies etc.  are SO VERY
platform specific, it became a chore try to commonize them. Not a show
stopper, but everyone was MUCH happier not doing that. It just seemed like
busy work that led to more work than solution in the end.

Anyway that was my experience.. FWIW

Farallon