[sldev] [VWR] ares and standalone builds

Jacek Antonelli jacek.antonelli at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 19:02:55 PDT 2007

On 10/20/07, Robin Cornelius <robin.cornelius at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> What is the story with standalone linux builds 1.18.4.0 and llares?
> llCommon/llares.cpp is asking for <ares/ares_dns.h>... i was about to
> ask..... but some googling later :-
>
> http://daniel.haxx.se/projects/c-ares/
>
> Might save someone some time wasting, as it took me a while to find out
> where i should be getting this from as i was just searching for ares and
> I have missed any announcements/documentation that says anything about it.
>
> Robin

I just ran into this issue as well. Thanks much for the pointer, it
saved me from some frustration. :)

Here's what I did:
1. Gentoo has "net-dns/c-ares" in Portage, so I installed that: #
emerge net-dns/c-ares
2. $ mkdir linden/libraries/include/ares/
3. $ cp /usr/include/ares*.h linden/libraries/include/ares.

That helped it compile llares.cpp. I suspect I might also have to do
some creative symlinking to get the library to link in, when it gets
that far.

I'm guessing LL forgot to put the ares stuff in the libs tarball.
Luckily the work-around isn't too nasty.

- Jacek