[sldev] Compressed Textures: Something to play with.

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 03:48:36 PDT 2007

Here's a patch for anyone that might want to play with GL compressed
textures.

For the uninitiated, GL can (re)compress textures on the fly into a
native (lossy) format that uses 1/4th the space in video RAM.

This is just a starting point that I threw together in a few minutes;
this is by no means a ready to go patch.

Sculpties are completely and utterly broken under this patch.
The minimap and map are broken also.

For those not paying attention:

THIS PATCH WILL BREAK A LOT OF THINGS.  IT IS A STARTING POINT ONLY, FOR
THOSE DEVELOPERS WHO WANT TO PLAY WITH THIS. :)

That said, it does seem to work for the most part, if someone wants to
try to fix this up more.  The worst case quality loss is not too
terrible, see attached images.

Thanks to Sean Linden for putting these crazy ideas into my head. :)

-Jason