[sldev] Re: [ARCH] Certified HTTP Project Update - Oct 25

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 11:43:53 PDT 2007

The trick to being clever with UDP is to make sure that what you're
doing is "being clever with UDP" and not "re-implementing TCP". The
biggest problem with the current UDP stuff in SL is that a lot of
it's doing things that should be done in TCP, and the solution to
that is already underway in the switch to TCP for bulk data transfer.
Real-time events will need to remain UDP-based, and I doubt very much
that LL is going to switch completely to TCP, but bulk data transfer
really does need pretty much all the stuff that TCP does.

Most of the real-time data is truly redundant. You don't need to send
position updates again, because the next update completely supplants
it. There's a few things that I could think would benefit from a
"Certified UDP" scheme, though... mostly discrete non-repeated events
from the user like chat that are still "real time" in nature. I don't
think controls should be, at least not without an extremely short
timeout on the certificate, because the user is the best person to
know if a control needs to be resent and they will already be doing
it anyway.