[sldev] AWG: Geometric Content Creation

Tillie Ariantho tillie at xp2.de
Mon Oct 29 00:34:38 PDT 2007

Mark Burhop wrote:

> 2.) The need to make use of existing geometric assets. In this case I'm
> talking about the large volume of 3D data that exists in so many programs,
> file formats, and companies today.  People want to reuse their geometry, not
> recreate it for every new system that comes along. So I don't think you can
> completely start from scatch.
[...]
> In any case, they *may* be too computationally intensive to be used in the
> short term.  You would first have compute the composition of data and second
> figure out how to render it.

As the whole AWG stuff aims to change SL in a medium to long turn there really
should be intense thoughts about adding one of those CAD formats, whichever. I
am sure those don't consume more bandwidth than several hundred single prims
used for complex objects right now, and people already have computers with 2
or even 4 core CPUs, 8 are already knocking on the door and more to come soon.
And graphics cards with very heavy 3D power and 512+ MB of memory are
widespread, too. Same about the rendering technology. SL's technology can't
stick with those people saying "But I am still running a Pentium 2 with 512 MB
RAM and a 32 MB graphics card!" If this is going to happen, SL will look
pretty old fashioned (which, some people say, it does right now, already) and
people will move on to more advanced virtual worlds.

Have a look here:

"As of March 7, Avatar Reality, Inc., a new development studio, has licensed
the CryENGINE2 out to use on a Massively Multiplayer Virtual World (MMVW) that
takes place on a terraformed Mars.":

http://www.crytek.com/news/news/browse/2/article/9/avatar-reali/download//54aa61dee8.html

See? Other people are going for something like the CryEngine for their virtual
world. And this is already NOW. If they come out with something based on that
engine, SL's graphics will SUCK, compared to it. And they do not provide sims
based on some simple island terraforming, they use a terraformed MARS landscape...

And another one here:

http://www.multiverse.net/ I fear all the guys who want to build their own
gaming world will move to here. And you can download the server stuff there,
already. When can we for SL?

Maybe next is google to come with a virtual world based on earth landscape
data, maybe with all the famous spots on earth crafted nicely in 3D, at their
right locations?

Are we going to die ugly, or do we want to get some intense surgery which
might be painful sometimes, but in the end moves us (hopefully) into the front
row again?

We can change the future now, and we have to!

Tillie
AWGroupy