[sldev] [AWG] Zero's office hour on Tuesday, 2007-10-30

dirk husemann hud at zurich.ibm.com
Tue Oct 30 03:39:59 PDT 2007

Tao Takashi wrote:

> 2007/10/29, Mark Burhop <mark.burhop at gmail.com
> <mailto:mark.burhop at gmail.com>>:
>

>         On Oct 26, 2007, at 1:42 PM, Rob Lanphier wrote:
>>         The conversation about scope here is pretty timely.  Zero,
>>         Liana and I
>>         had a great conversation yesterday about the topic, and
>>         decided it would
>>         be good to make sure we talk about this at Zero's office hour on
>>         Tuesday, 1pm PDT:
>>         https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Zero_Linden
>>
>>         Zero's going to also repeat the discussion at the Thursday,
>>         7:30am PDT
>>         meeting as well.
>

>     It sounds like AWG is backing off scalability and is focusing on
>     the openness aspect - especially openness of protocols. Not that
>     they aren't related, just that the focus has changed.  Is this
>     correct?
>

> I am just wondering at which point we actually start talking about the
> actual protocol ;-) Even the scope discussion might be IMHO more
> useful if there is something to look at. It might not be final or even
> just a sketch but it might serve as an example for the discussion as
> well as might be a starting poing for interested coders to get going.
completely agree... how about we start with the flows: what
happens/should happen when we want to log in? full graphical login, bot
login. and then take it from there. i've listed a couple of flows that i
think would be good to look at on
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Talk:AWG_initial_flows

> As for the scalability I think with opening it up the proposed way it
> should already become somewhat more scalable as not everything has to
> be in one place. Moreover the sim is not doing everything anymore.
> This design will also enable people to experiment with different ideas
> for solving the scalability problem.
scalability should come with an efficient architecture. we need to keep
it in mind when designing the system --- same as with security!

> As for the scope I think for me it's rather clear that in the end SL
> like it is today (as in features, object model and probably also big
> parts of data structures) needs to run to make sense for Linden Lab to
> do that project. I also think that we need to find some sort of
> balance between overengineering it and keeping it too much constraint
> to the SL use case.
agree. i'd like to start with the flows --- let's use that as a guide.

    cheers,
    dirk

--
dr dirk husemann, pervasive computing, ibm zurich research lab
--- hud at zurich.ibm.com --- +41 44 724 8573 --- SL: dr scofield