[sldev] [VWR] Creating Linux viewer on GTK

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Oct 30 11:44:40 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-30 at 08:00 +0900, alissa_sabre at yahoo.co.jp wrote:
> Developers,
>
> I started modifying Linux viewers.  I' rewriting a lot of lower-layer
> window interface.  The following is my plan.
>
> What do you think?
>
> - Avoid use of SDL entirely.
>
> - Use GtkGLExt (http://www.k-3d.org/gtkglext/Main_Page) to access
>   OpenGL instead.

Hmmm, that page claims that gtkglext is unmaintained. But it also links
to a Gnome bug that seems to have some recent activity. Is it really a
good idea to avoid SDL entirely? How well do SDL and GTK interact? If
I'm understanding things, what you really need from GTK is the input
layer, right?

> - Rewrite as much features the current viewer does with low-level X11
>   API with GTK API as possible.

Good.

> - Use GTK immodule (GtkIMContext) to handle input methods.  (See VWR-2261.)
>
> ... and the following are *not* goals in my plan:
>
> - I'm not replacing LLUI framework with GTK widgets.  A big GL-enabled
>   GTK widget will replace SDL window, and LLUI components are shown
>   there.
>
> - I'm not employing GTK on Windows/MacOS.
>
> Any comments including technical and policy viewpoints are welcome.

Hmmm, the thing I'd like to see is more code sharing between platforms.
SDL can do that. I don't know how well GTK can. Is the "native" OSX GTK
usable yet?

(In before Qt zelotry! :)