[sldev] [VWR] Creating Linux viewer on GTK

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Wed Oct 31 18:17:33 PDT 2007

Alissa Sabre wrote:

>> Is it really a
>> good idea to avoid SDL entirely?
>>

> I don't know.  That's one of the reason I started this discussion.

SDL relies on an assumption that it can have access to the actual
hardware. That actually breaks the original design of X11 itself to be
scalable across the network. It is obvious that a slight revert to such
non-scalable code has to be done in order for the X11 design to continue
on the right path again.

>> I'm understanding things, what you really need from GTK is the input
>> layer, right?
>>

> Yes.  That's my motivation.  Clean pure-GTK something is a bonus, if
> possible.

With the example of AjaxLife blended into an X11 system described above,
I'd consider GTK being on both x11-client and x11-server something to
consider.

>> Hmmm, the thing I'd like to see is more code sharing between platforms.
>>

> I have no objection to the point in general, but
>

>> SDL can do that.
>>

> I strongly object to the idea to use SDL on Windows or MacOS.  SDL's
> input method (IME) support on WIndows is worse than on Linux/X11...  I
> also don't like to use GTK on Windows or MacOS.  I'm in favor of the
> current LL approach; defines a set of common interface that just
> suitable for SL viewer, and uses native OS interfaces to implement it.
>
> I think this is another issue that requires separate debates...

X11 has a way to create sharable memory space over the network. I've
seen it used in the past, but I'm surprised it never got used more over
the years. SDL doesn't even seem to use it, and just expects some sort
of DMA ability.

I've ran a paravirtualized server with X11 on windows and Second Life on
linux. The virtualized devices allowed the X11 to access DMA (gpu) to
X11 apps on linux. All available OpenGL apps with hardware acceleration
worked fine for me except Second Life. I tried several configurations
with virtual buffers buffers and more direct hardware access. It just
was a no go on it, and even if possible it just doesn't really fit the
original scheme of X11. What I really want to do is allow Second Life to
run on a cluster and have the monitor run the X11 server, but with the
high demand of the SDL with DMA ability, I concluded something needed to
be changed.

Yes, AjaxLife is a possible solution to the above desires (future
needs). I'd hate to call Katherine's work a lawn mower -- I'd call it
useful.  =)

--
Power to Change the Void