[sldev] SIM SOURCE CODE

Alissa Sabre alissa_sabre at yahoo.co.jp
Sun Sep 2 03:06:50 PDT 2007

> > Also, how will this going to work? I mean like, hooking up to the grid
> > and asset/login systems etc..
> > And will it require changes in scripting too?
>
> To add to Bryan's response: we don't know the answers to these
> questions, and we need to figure then out before we can open-source it.

If this is the major reason why LL does not make the server source
code available immediaely, you are going toward a wrong direction.  I
understand the said issues are tough.  If you disclosed the current server
source code now, many more people would work for it, and a set of
solutions would be found earlier.

How many people are actually working on the big issues above?  We now
LL has thrity some devs, but many of them are focusing on the
stability issues these days.  I believe you can easily get five or ten
more people to work on these future issues when you disclose the
server source.

In this context, the source need not be usable; it is not needed to be
compiled successfully.  So the set of source files as-is, minus some
third-party licensed codes are enough for the moment.  Lessons from
BSD Netwrok Releases will work here.

    Alissa Sabre