[sldev] NSV Support

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Mon Sep 3 20:26:24 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-03 at 17:10 -0700, Harold Brown wrote:
> gstreamer is available on windows as well.... I'd think getting rid of
> the quicktime reliance would be a good direction to go.

If gstreamer can seamlessly wrap itself around DirectShow/Windows Media
on Win32, and Quicktime on OSX, this just might be wonderful.

The problem is, media codecs are a patent licensing minefield. By using
Quicktime and/or DirectShow, you push the responsibility and liability
for proper licensing onto Microsoft and Apple, who have already taken
care of it, and conveniently placed codecs for MP3 and MPEG4 and whatnot
on everyone's systems for you.

Or demand everyone use Theora/OGG, which would be fine by me. :)