[sldev] [VIEWER] Dead code removal

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Tue Sep 4 10:57:50 PDT 2007

Kelly Linden wrote:
> Lawson English wrote:
>
>> Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:

>>> It's best to keep the dead code removal in a patch of its own.  That
>>> makes it easier for us to review patches.

>>> You can see the exact lists of libraries that the viewer and server
>>> depend on in the SConstruct file that ships with the source.
>>>
>>> A lot of the libraries are shared.  The easiest rule of thumb is to
>>> assume that any ll* directory that isn't related to drawing windows
>>> or other bits of UI is likely to be shared with the server code.
>>>
>> I'm confused... The client build ships with server-only  libraries
>> included?
>>

> No, but some of the libraries used by the client are also used by the
> servers.  This means that some code in the libraries that appears to be
> 'dead' from the viewer perspective may not be, if any of the server code
> relies on it.
>
>  - Kelly

Pardon me if this sounds like a bad library design to me, unless that
code is definitely designeed to be "dual use" between client and server
like common definitions and communications modules, and in that case, it
should be factored into its own files and placed in the "common" if I
understand what that is for.

(I'm on a refactoring warpath with the GUI, sorry if I sound a bit
extreme today).