[sldev] SVC-150

Hamncheese me at hamncheeseomlet.com
Tue Sep 4 20:07:06 PDT 2007

I'm looking for discussion from the list on possible implementation on
SVC-150 http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-150 (Login picture changes to
user-specific before password check is done)

The last screenshot is queued up in init_start_screen and the viewer window
is displayed long before the successful login response comes back.

So based on the above and the comments in jira, I'm treating this as a
feature request and want give the user explicit control over the display of
the final snapshot as a splash screen. I'm doing this by storing a persisted
bool setting in gSavedSettings and then hooking that up to a checkbox in
Preferences. Default is true/checked. If the user unchecks the box, then no
snapshot is shown when logging in and on the flip side, no final snapshot is
taken when logging off.

However after playing around with this, I realized that screen real-estate
on Preferences was fairly precious for what amounts to fairly obscure
feature.

I had other thoughts such as adding it to the startup screen or making it a
debug menu item. I like the debug menu item idea but you can't set it until
you've actually logged in. Displaying on startup screen would be confusing
for new users and in the way for most users.

Any thoughts, ideas, ymbc, etc?

Cheers,

Ham