[sldev] Re: [VIEWER] Dead code removal

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 01:42:58 PDT 2007

From: Ettore Pasquini <ettore_pasquini at 3dconnexion.com>
> The "clearly" part is highly subjective,

Certainly. It's my opinion only. Parts of the viewer that I have
worked on have the feel of a general library that's designed to be
used by more than one program.

> depending on how much confidence  a
> reader has with the code. In this case, even if you have relatively
> good
> knowledge, we may still not know the "second reason to exist" of a
> particular piece of code because we don't know its whole story.
> (For reasons
> often discussed...)

Why do you need to know what that reason is? Knowing whether a
*module* is a general library or a part of the viewer only and not
depending on subjective assessment is useful, but knowing whether a
file is used by the asset server or the sim or the presence server
isn't really that useful.

On the other hand, better (or any!) class/method/function
documentation would be useful. While the code is usually pretty self-
documenting, it would be nice to know what the intended inputs and
outputs are and whether the observed ones are actually intentional or
merely side-effects. THAT would not only help understanding the code,
but would incidentally make dead code easier to locate.