[sldev] [POLICY] Mailing list policy

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Wed Sep 5 15:38:31 PDT 2007

Hi everyone

I've been careful to call my suggestions thus far "guidelines" rather
than "policies", because I'm willing to concede that some of my
suggestions might need to be ignored.

However, it's become clear that it's time to explicitly institute a
policy with some consequences for violation.

Constructive criticism is welcome, but general complaints which only
serve to discourage use of Second Life or discourage cooperation with
Linden Lab should be taken elsewhere.  This mailing list is for
discussing problems and ideas that software developers can directly
address and for collaboration on solutions and improvements, not for
turning Linden Lab development staff into proxies to reach other parts
of Linden Lab (e.g. legal, exectutive, human resources, etc).  The
guidelines for commenting on the blog also apply here.

I've added a policy section to the wiki page for this list:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SLDev

Since we can't delete comments that are in violation, we're going to
instead preemptively set the "moderated" bit for repeat violators.
Given how much spam we also get, that will probably have the effect of
making the list read-only for those members.....we may hunt around and
pull something out of the queue, but it's too large of a spam pile to
sort through.

Rob