[sldev] [VIEWER} Mac madness

John Hurliman jhurliman at wsu.edu
Sat Sep 8 15:29:16 PDT 2007

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 22:22 +0200, Barney Boomslang wrote:
>
>> HI,
>>
>> it's the pesky OpenJPEG library. It can't decode stuff it encoded
>> itself if it is uncompressed JPEG2000. This is not Mac specific, but
>> is a problem with all pure opensource builds. I'd love to be able to
>> build SL against the libkdu stuff (which is what the official client
>> uses - a commercial JPEG 2000 library), but so far no luck with that.
>> If anybody has a hint on how to do that, I would be quite happy,
>> because it's the biggest problem with the Mac build of the client so
>> far. There is a jira on that allready:
>>
>> https://jira.secondlife.com:443/browse/VWR-1815
>>

> There's a bug lurking in the lossless encoder, which I seem to have yet
> to nail. The "fix" for now is to use lossy encoding instead, which we
> should be using most of the time anyway:
>
> https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-1475

Ugh, thanks for the heads up on this. Unfortunately I think the cat is
already out of the bag as every time I login to SL my IM inbox is full
with messages from people using "SL Image Upload" that allows sculpty
builders to upload lossless images. I don't have the time right now to
reverse engineer an interface in to the llkdu.dll library, so open
source clients are going to be out of luck when viewing lossless
sculpties. Encoder problem or not, Kakadu is able to successfully decode
the images in to the original data while the OpenJPEG decoder creates a
mess. Making the decoder more resilient would fix this issue as well.

John Hurliman