[sldev] [VIEWER] SVG on a prim, a HUD, and in the viewer itself as a new GUI...

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Sat Sep 8 23:27:49 PDT 2007

Harold Brown wrote:

> On 9/8/07, *John Hurliman* <jhurliman at wsu.edu
> <mailto:jhurliman at wsu.edu>> wrote:
>

>     trivial to embed custom data. If you have specific questions about any
>     of it contact me off-list as I'm not sure uploading arbitrary
>     assets and
>     mangling prim data are on-topic for the list, though I would
>     really like
>     to see a custom client with SVG support.
>
>     John Hurliman
>     /index.html
>

> And once again for the whole list.....
>

> I for one would hate for discussions of this sort to get dragged off
> into secrecy.
I see no reason why it should be anyway. SVG on a prim, assuming that no
webaccess is allowed via URLs, should be relatively trivial to
implement. Its possible that some threading issue might make it a tad
more difficult, but still, compared to adding voice, or revising the
design the viewer to sit on a real GUI g\framework, it should be trivial.

And it would open up a LOT of new possibilities for education and so on.
a version of it that would allow setting svg via LSL functions as well
as by reference to notecards, would give you the long-sought-after
interactive text on a prim, though the scripted version would need to be
limited in its size and complexity. Maybe not more than 512 bytes or 1K
bytes of svg code per face to be stored in custom prim properties...