[sldev] [VIEWER] OpenGL clipping in the GUI

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sun Sep 9 09:57:42 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-09-09 at 06:37 -0700, Lawson English wrote:
> In the long run, if possible, I think that the GUI needs to be revised
> from top to bottom in order to enforce a traditional GUI view hierarchy,
> including inherited clipping rectangles and even regions. I can see no
> reason why we can't have round windows if we want them for some purpose.
> Certainly, if the client-world interface converges the way I think it
> could (and probably should), I can foresee plenty of situations where
> the interface should be more organic in appearance which would require
> "windows" that have no set-in-stone shape, and a clip-view-hierarchy
> would be far more important in such a situation.

I'd like to see slviewer use Cairo for... well every last thing it
possibly can. Rendering GUI widgets and, hey... maybe Cairo can solve
all our text rendering problems!

http://cairographics.org/
http://cairographics.org/samples/

And the whiz-bang OpenGL example page:

http://cairographics.org/OpenGL/

Cairo's text rendering is based on Pango:

http://www.pango.org/

Which nicely wraps the use of native fonts on Window and OSX, and
fontconfig on X11.

I'd put code where my mouth is on this but I'm really doing plenty of
that as it is. :) (OpenJPEG, OpenAL...)