[sldev] [VIEWER] 64 bit status and open source components

David Fries david at fries.net
Sun Sep 16 11:15:02 PDT 2007

On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 02:00:32PM +0100, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> On 9/15/07, David Fries <david at fries.net> wrote:
> Ah that explains it, looking at the code the 1.18.2.0 tree is a lot
> cleaner in respect to what needs to be done and attached is a patch i
> used to get it to build on an AMD64 debian testing.
>
> Its pretty much a swap a few #include "foo.h" to #include <foo.h> and
> fiddle with the scons file slightly.  Oh and debian has libapr in
> "apr-1.0/" not "apr-1/" and openjpeg and libxml-rpc got dropped into
> /usr/include and not /usr/include/<subdir>/ so i patched the includes
> as it was quick and easy.

I looked into the apr-1.0 vs apr-1 and the apr source installs to
apr-1 but the Debian package build process overrides that to set it to
apr-1.0 on compile.  I submitted a bug report noting it.

The libapr1-dev package description says that it conflicts with
libapr1.0-dev, so I'm wondering if that override was specified when it
was libapr1.0-dev and never changed to keep up with the version.

The only solution for it to work for both the /usr/include/apr-1 and
/usr/include/apr-1.0 case I see is to drop the subdirectory reference
in the include directive and add `pkg-config --cflags apr-1` to the
command line which will directly add the subdirectory.

> But i have run in to a major issue. Although i can get in world with
> my 64 bit build, i can't see anything, a few outlines, I can see the
> avatar name/group tags floating around. UI controls all seem ok, mini
> maps etc work. I assume a problem with the jpeg2000 lib stopping
> textures being rendered so its all a grey goo.

Bring up the texture decode debug information, control-shift-3, that
might give a clue if a texture is getting stuck.  Edit an object
(doesn't have to be yours) and go to the texture tab, that will give
that texture priority for decoding.  But you say that the UI textures
are fine?  They are also compressed textures, so OpenJPEG must be
working for them.

That's just for information.  Try clearing your cache (or move the
directory out of the way) and see if things work.

--
David Fries <david at fries.net>
http://fries.net/~david/ (PGP encryption key available)