[sldev] Bugs in the Mac OS X Source tree

Trevor Powell trevor at gridbug.org
Sun Sep 16 19:49:01 PDT 2007

I have a working OS X build of Nicholaz's 18g build..  I've worked through
each of the issues below..

The problem with cursors_mac is just that the directory itself is missing;
 all the files that should be in it are dumped into the root of the mac
resources directory, instead of into a 'cursors_mac' directory inside that
directory.  That one was easy to fix, locally.

The giant executables seem to be caused by linking in the Mozilla library.
 Or at least, when I removed it from the linking process, it yielded no
linking errors and the final executable came down from >1gig to the 70ish
megs that you'd expect.

I haven't yet looked at the post-voice source releases on the Mac (except
to plunder some the pre-built png libraries that they forgot to include in
the pre-voice source releases)..  I'd release my builds, except that they
suffer from a weird behaviour;  textures seem to load far, far slower than
they do in the official Linden version.  Slow enough that it's not at all
uncommon for me to hang around in a single area and still have blank grey
textures on many things twenty minutes later.  It's as though it wasn't
retrying to grab the textures if a packet got lost, or something.  Haven't
had a chance to delve more deeply into it yet, though.  And in all
honesty, the solution may come by moving up to a post-voice source
release;  LL seem to have fixed a bunch of problems in the Mac source
releases post-voice.

Trevor