[sldev] [META] How LL can profit from open source

William Anderson (neuro) neuro at lindenlab.com
Mon Sep 17 19:25:25 PDT 2007

First time posting to sldev, "hello everybody!"

Tim Shephard wrote:
> Simply - buy out SLExchange.
>
> Get out of the hosting biz (a profound strategical error) and enter
> into the marketplace biz.

Intersting, in what way is the hosting business a strategic error?

> Enforce a license such that anyone who wants to develop assets for SL
> and use SL IP must either sell their assets through your marketplace

Um, IP owners already sell their assets through "our" marketplace: that
marketplace is called Second Life.  What you're proposing sounds to me
to be akin to Microsoft saying "hey, we're open sourcing IIS, but if you
want to build websites to sell stuff using IIS, you have to go through
us, and you can write and sell your own middleware to plug into IIS, but
you have to give us a cut", i.e. a non starter.

--
William Anderson - Operations, Linden Lab
neuro at lindenlab.com