[sldev] Re: [ARCH] Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar's

Ryan Williams (Which) rdw at lindenlab.com
Tue Sep 18 10:22:42 PDT 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
> From: "Tao Takashi" <tao.takashi at googlemail.com>
>> I am not sure it will. I think the mesh and all the things an avatar
>> is made up of will be transferred to the region for simulating it.
>
> The region doesn't simulate an avatar. All it does is deliver the
> textures and appearance parameters to the client. The avatar mesh is
> in the client.
It also calculates the collisions between avatars and the rest of the
world, and runs the scripts in attachments, and makes the decision of
when to deliver the representation to other agents, which is a
non-trivial calculation.  Maybe you meant something else, but the
simulator definitely does more than just act as a bit pipe for avatars.

-RYaN