[sldev] [ATTN-LL] Physics engine status update?

Tao Takashi tao.takashi at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 19 02:50:42 PDT 2007

Hi!

2007/9/19, Dale Mahalko <dmahalko at gmail.com>:

> It's now been about nine months since Andrew Linden or anyone else has
> said anything official about the physics engine upgrade project.
> Joints disappeared, and that was the end of it. I keep hearing rumors
> that LL has Havok 4 implemented on a closed beta grid, but there is
> nothing to back that up anywhere.

There is a blog post about it:

http://blog.secondlife.com/2007/08/24/linden-labs-effort-to-improve-grid-stability/

(somewhere hidden in the middle) where Ian says:

"We've been talking about upgrading the
Havok<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havok_%28software%29>physics engine
included in the sim software for years, and haven't managed
to deliver. However, this project is making real progress now and will be
ready for a beta test soon." (there is more detail in the post)

"Soon" is of course relative but let's hope it's not months :-)

Is there any continuing work to resolve the severe sim-crashing bugs
> in the old Havok-I engine?

The hope is apparently that there are fewer sim crashes with Havok 4 caused
by Physics.

I don't know if its worth reporting these physics crashes to the JIRA
> since they seem almost totally random, and the sim gives me no
> debugging messages when it crashes. It just dies and the connection
> immediately drops -- which you may happen to experience for yourself,
> if you try the 5-ball setting with Paddle-Whack..

Probably it is because if you give time and date they might at least have a
look at logfiles and whatnot.

-- Tao

taotakashi at gmail.com
http://taotakashi.wordpress.com