[sldev] [ATTN-LL] Physics engine status update?

Sidewinder Linden joel at lindenlab.com
Fri Sep 21 13:51:12 PDT 2007

Argent Stonecutter wrote:
>> Going back to the original quote...
>>> Meta Linden: In fact het-grid *is* helping- already. We are rolling
>>> the new
>>> physics engine onto some sims on the main grid *today*.

That comment qualifies as an "oops"...

Havok4 has not been rolled onto the main grid, and it was not planned to
be on the main grid at this point. We do not want to roll an update of
this significance without serious beta testing and resolution of issues
that surface from a public beta preview. Het-Grid is being used in
internal testing, and will be used for the public preview and final
rollout of Havok4, so that we can run Havok1 and Havok4 simulators in
parallel throughout the process.

We are working through some known issues and will announce a public beta
as soon as possible.

To answer Lawson's question about Havok5... Yes we have known about the
Havok5 release for a while, and after discussions with the Havok folks
decided that it was far better to release the Havok4 version and to get
that version solid before taking the next jump.

Regards,

Sidewinder Linden
Havok4 Program Manager